After almost 20 years working in the international trade business, it is clear to me that my best customers are those who are well informed.
That’s why I have decided to start this blog. I dedicate it to all those entrepreneurs and business person who want to improve or learn: Techniques for buying abroad (China or any other country), logistics strategies, security, and control in the international transfer of their most precious goods and for sure the soul of their business: Their merchandise.
QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS ABOUT PRODUCT IMPORTS INTO MEXICO
Someone who is importing or who wants to start importing is initially faced with a thousand doubts and concerns; such as:
- Am I choosing the right supplier?
- Will the quality delivered be the same as the sample?
- Will I have problems at customs or how will it go?
- Will I be asked to do any paperwork?
- Will my goods arrive in good condition?
- How much will I spend in total?
- What if something happens along the way, who is responsible?
- What options do I have to take care of my merchandise?
- If the supplier quotes me delivery, will that be all I have to pay?
- Will there be a better way to carry out my import process?
- Is the transportation I am using for my product the right one?
- Will the courier company (DHL, UPS, Fedex, etc.) ask me to pay taxes or not?
In the end what you are looking for is that the merchandise arrives in good condition, at the best possible cost and in accordance with your level of urgency of the merchandise.
And for this to happen you have to use and hire properly all or some of the following companies depending on the case.
THE PLAYERS INVOLVED IN THE IMPORT LOGISTICS PROCESS IN MEXICO
- International purchasing services.
- Quality inspections.
- Shipping companies
- Airlines (which in the case of large packages, are usually cheaper options than using the above mentioned parcel companies).
- Customs agencies at origin and destination.
- Inland carriers at origin and destination.
Wow, it looks complex, doesn’t it? but the good news is that there is a type of company that consolidates all or most of these services: The Freight Forwarder (like us: hiergroup.com.mx) that by the way today these companies, freight forwarders, handle about 70% of the cargo moving in the world.
WHO SHOULD HAVE CONTROL OVER THE PROCESS OF IMPORTING GOODS INTO MEXICO?
Many people choose to cede this control to their suppliers, who are obviously in another country. This option, dear readers, I do not recommend it because it could be more expensive and you could be putting your merchandise at risk without knowing it.
Why? Because the merchandise enters your country and you have to pay taxes to the government of YOUR country for the importation of the same and YOUR country has some routes more dangerous than others and also the clearance times of YOUR country are based on an infrastructure and processing times of the same.
Times that are finite to vacate those facilities or begin to run storage. Don’t leave the control of this to someone who doesn’t know what they need in their own country. Many people choose to give this control to their suppliers, who are obviously in another country.
This option, dear readers, I do not recommend it because it could be more expensive and you could be putting your merchandise at risk without knowing it. Now, it is true that in order for a supplier to fulfill a delivery service, he must hire a Freight Forwarder in your country who will coordinate that delivery.
So if this is the option you took, cross your fingers that you have not hired a freight forwarder that sacrifices quality in services to obtain more profit by risking the safety of your goods, or that the contracted insurance requires conditions for its application that are not being fulfilled, such as freight on highways and not on free roads, or that they use trucks with GPS, etc.
FOUR REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR IMPORTS
My recommendation is that you take control of your shipments and approach a specialist who will listen to your project and put the best alternatives on the table so that you can decide what to hire and what not to hire. Doing this, I assure you, will save you money and time. Why?
- Because it is important that your supplier does not send you goods that they cannot release from customs.
- Because it is important that they are prepared when the merchandise arrives at customs and do not have to pay for storage, delays or extra expenses.
- Because it is important that they know how much they are going to spend in total, that they know that it will really be a profitable business to import, or not.
- Because in case of an accident on the way, they have made the necessary arrangements for the insurance to apply.
Now, as I said at the beginning, my best clients are those who are better informed, so I will be addressing basic issues.
CEO Hier Logistic Group